The Department of Gender & Women’s Studies announces a 9-month dissertation fellowship available to a student who is a dissertator and is completing a dissertation on some topic in LGBTQ+ studies. The fellowship is open to students in any department or program at UW-Madison. The 9-month stipend will be $23,727. This fellowship is made possible by a generous gift from David A. Kaplan and Glenn A. Ostergaard, the Brautigam/Kaplan Foundation.
Applications Due: Friday, March 10, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
1) Ph.D. student who is a dissertator in any department or program at UW-Madison.
2) Dissertation on a topic in LGBTQ+ studies.
The application should include:
- Cover sheet with your name, department, faculty mentor, the title of your dissertation, and the date when your dissertation proposal was approved (applicants must have had their proposal approved by the time of application).
- A brief summary of your dissertation proposal, not to exceed 1,500 words (not counting references).
- A brief statement of your career plans, not to exceed 500 words.
- A letter of support from your faculty mentor (submitted directly to GWS as indicated below).
- Optional: supplemental material that would help the committee understand your work better.
Application: Submit the materials by email to the Administrator of the Center for Research on Gender & Women, Lyddia Ruch-Doll, email@example.com.
Award: The 9-month stipend will be $23,727. Award announcements will be made by April 1, 2023. You WILL receive remission of your tuition. The tuition remission does not include any segregated, special course, or special fees approved by the Legislature and/or UW-Madison, these will be your responsibility each term.
The winner of the fellowship will be expected to give a talk on the dissertation research to the Department of Gender & Women’s Studies at some point prior to graduation.
Contact: Please contact the Administrator of the Center for Research on Gender and Women (CRGW), Lyddia Ruch-Doll, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Director Dr. Christine Garlough, email@example.com, with any questions.
2022-2023: Simon D. Elin Fisher